West Bank: Israel denies two soldiers abducted, killed

Published June 30th, 2005 - 07:58 GMT

Palestinian activists from Fatah's al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades said captured two Israeli troops in the West Bank city of Nablus on Thursday. There were conflicting Palestinian reports on their fate, but Israel denied any soldiers went missing.

 

Abu Thaer, a spokesman for the Ayman Jouda units of al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, told Reuters that the two soldiers, who were part of a raiding force that got lost in Nablus, were killed. Later he said the two were held alive. 

 

A Palestinian security source confirmed an Israeli vehicle had been found abandoned in the Balata refugee camp. It showed no signs of damage.


Earlier, Al Jazeera TV reported that massive Israeli forces raided the town of Nablus and its refugee camp.  It added the forces were looking for two Israeli soldiers, who were "abducted." Locals said occupation forces invaded the city from all directions, backed by large number of military vehicles and supported by combat helicopters and jetfighters.

 

Eyewitnesses added that additional Israeli reinforcements were seen advancing from the direction of Beit Iba military checkpoint.

 

After hours of searches, the Israeli army issued a statement denying all reports that two soldiers were kidnapped and killed by Palestinians earlier in the day.

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content