In three days: More than 280 Iraqis killed in Fallujah

Published April 8th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Over 280 Iraqis have been killed and 400 injured this week in the U.S. raid on Fallujah city west of Baghdad, the director of Fallujah's hospital said Thursday.  

 

Taher Al-Issawi told The Associated Press that the toll was likely higher.  

 

"We also know of dead and wounded in various places buried under rubble, but we cannot reach them," because of fighting, he added.  

 

The massive U.S. raid on Fallujah started early Monday, when Marines surrounded the city of 200,000 people. Since then, U.S. occupation forces have been waging heavy street battles, using warplanes and tanks against Iraqi fighters.  

 

At least three Marines are known to have been killed since the operation launched.  

 

Since Sunday, 35 Americans, two other occupation soldiers and more than 230 Iraqis have been killed in fighting.  

 

A US soldier died Wednesday in Baghdad and another had died Tuesday in Balad, the U.S. Central Command in Tampa, Fla. said. (Albawaba.com) 

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content