UK expected to redeploy forces in Iraq as two Macedonians executed

Published October 18th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

London is considering a request by Washington to redeploy a small number of British soldiers in Iraq to allow US forces carry out massive operations, the UK defense minister told parliament Monday.  

 

Geoff Hoon noted that no decision had been made and added that, contrary to media reports, the US had not asked for British soldiers to be sent to Baghdad or Fallujah.  

 

In a statement to the House of Commons, Hoon said Britain would deploy a reconnaissance team Tuesday to the area where British troops are required. Britain's chief of defense staff was expected to make a recommendation within days, Hoon said.  

 

The US request involved U.K. land forces operating outside the British-controlled sector in southern Iraq.  

 

Meanwhile, an Iraqi group executed two Macedonians accused of spying for the United States, an Arab television station reported Monday.  

 

Al-Jazeera television aired a videotape from the Islamic Army in Iraq saying the two men were captured "a few days ago outside an American base in Iraq." The network aired parts of the video showing the two holding Macedonian passports, ID cards and driving licenses but did not show them being killed.  

 

According to The AP, Macedonia has 32 troops deployed in Taji, which is north of Baghdad. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content