Sharon warns of civil war in Israel over Gaza ''withdrawal'' plan

Published September 12th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon warned Sunday morning of mounting incitement in his country, saying the heightened rhetoric against his so-called Gaza Strip withdrawal plan could lead to civil war. 

 

Sharon issued the warning at the beginning of the weekly meeting of his Cabinet.  

 

The Israeli leader faces significant hardline opposition to his plan to withdraw from the Gaza Strip and four West Bank settlements next year, including from opponents within his own government.  

 

Israeli security officials said recently that right wing extremists are planning violent resistance to the proposed withdrawals.  

 

Last week, in an unprecedented step, a group of prominent hardliners published a petition calling on soldiers to disobey orders to carry out the withdrawal.  

 

"We are witness in recent days to the most grave incitement and I would say calls that are actually directing toward a civil war," Sharon said. "I view this with the utmost gravity."  

 

The Israeli premier said the army should not be part of the political debate, and urged Cabinet members, including the defense and public security ministers, to speak out more against the threatened violence.  

 

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of opponents to the withdrawal plan were scheduled to demonstrate Sunday night in Jerusalem. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content