Israel's Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said Monday that the government remains committed to "removing" Yasser Arafat from the Palestinian territories, although there are no current plans to do so.
"The state of Israel will find the way and the right time to bring about the removal of Yasser Arafat from the region," Mofaz said while answering listeners' questions on Israel's Army Radio.
Mofaz noted the Israeli security Cabinet's decision last year to "remove" Arafat following a series of Palestinian suicide bombings. "I think it is still relevant," Mofaz noted.
Mofaz also threatened to kill Palestinian leaders in Syria. "The State of Israel is determined to act against terror anywhere in the world," he conveyed. "Terror leaders in Damascus should know that Israel will get to them, wherever they are." (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)