The Islamic group that claimed responsibility for the recent Madrid train bombings has warned that its next targets could be the United States, Japan, Italy, Britain or Australia, an Arabic newspaper reported Thursday.
The London-based Al-Quds al-Arabi said that it had received a statement from "The Brigades of Abu Hafs al-Masri (al-Qaeda)" in which the group reiterated its responsibility for the March 11 attacks that killed more than 200 people and wounded more than 1,600.
"Our brigades are getting ready now for the next attack," said the statement dated March 15. "Whose turn will it be next? Is it Japan, America, Italy, Britain, Saudi Arabia or Australia?"
According to The AP, Washington claims Abu Hafs group lacks credibility and has only tenuous ties to al-Qaeda.
The editor of Al-Quds al-Arabi, Abdel Bari Atwan, told The Associated Press the paper received the statement via e-mail Wednesday night.
"This statement is authentic," Atwan said, adding the group had previously claimed responsibility for last year's suicide attacks in Istanbul, Turkey, and on the U.N. headquarters in Iraq. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)