Iran admits it imported uranium

Published June 9th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Iran acknowledged Sunday that it failed to inform United Nations authorities that it had imported a small quantity of uranium 12 years ago, however said that failure did not violate the international nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). 

 

Gholamreza Aghazadeh, Iran's nuclear energy chief, also called upon the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to widely publish the report it released to member nations last week on Iran's nuclear program, according to AP

 

Washington has accused Tehran of seeking to build a nuclear bomb and wants the UN agency to declare it in violation of the treaty. Iran, for its part, says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes. 

 

Aghazadeh said on state-run television that the IAEA report did not support US claims that Iran was violating international atomic protocols. (Albawaba.com) 

 

 

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content