FBI Director Robert Mueller said Sunday that the recent Riyadh suicide bombings bore "all the hallmarks" of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda terror group, and he praised the US-Saudi cooperation in the investigation of the attacks.
Mueller, who arrived in the Saudi kingdom earlier in the day from Jordan, said he was in the Gulf kingdom to praise Saudi Arabian officials for their support in the "war on terror" and the probe into the May 12 attacks.
Meanwhile, the US State Department announced Sunday that a ninth American had died from injuries received in the late night bombings at three Riyadh residential compounds.
"I think we assume that, yes, there are ties (in the attacks) to al-Qaeda," Mueller said during a press conference in Riyadh Sunday.
"I don't want to get into the details because the investigations are ongoing, but clearly this type of undertaking has all the hallmarks of an al-Qaeda operation."
Mueller would not reveal how many people have been arrested since the investigation into the Riyadh attacks was launched, but he said none of those in detention were thought to be on the FBI's most wanted terrorist list.
"(Our) Saudi counterparts have moved aggressively to identify and detain those who would have some participation, either directly or more remotely, to these events," he said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)