China Tuesday denied that any local company had provided assistance to Iran's missile program, reacting to sanctions by the US government.
"No relevant Chinese company has assisted relevant programs in Iran," foreign ministry spokeswoman Zhang Qiyue told a regular briefing, cited by AFP.
"We're against any organization using any method to engage in proliferation, " she said.
Last week, the US State Department announced the termination of all existing contracts between the American government and the North China Industries Corporation (NORINCO), as well as an Iranian company.
Washington imposed the sanctions after it determined NORINCO had helped Iran "use, acquire, design, develop, produce or stockpile missiles capable of delivering weapons of mass destruction," according to a US official.
Zhang said Beijing had introduced tighter rules on missile technology exports in August last year.
"These rules have been implemented strictly and efficiently," she said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)