Yemen hints Iran behind Shiite rebellion

Published August 19th, 2009 - 07:33 GMT

Yemen on Tuesday hinted that the Shi'ite rebels are receiving financial support from Iran. The government spokesman, Minister of Information Husain al-Lawzi added that Yemen is working to bring an end to the rebellion in the northern Saada governorate.

 

According to SABA news agency, the Yemeni official said that "armed and security forces and local authorities in Saada are working to fulfill all constitutional and legal requirements included in the six points presented to Houthis recently by the Supreme Security Commission." The minister pointed out that the government is running out of patience regarding the rebels.

 

He stressed a foreign financial, political and media aid offered for the Shiite elements in Saada. "There are religious authorities that are trying to interfere in the affairs of our country. These authorities are giving financial and political support to acts of terrorism and destruction which are aimed at the heart of the security and stability of Yemen and especially Saada", Lawzi said.

 

Yemen said earlier that it wanted to arrest 55 rebel leaders.

 

Meanwhile, Yemen's President Ali Abdullah Saleh paid on Tuesday an inspection visit to military units. In his speech, Saleh stated that "our military forces are able to confront and defeat al-Houthi rebels who broke the law and announced their rebellion against the country."

 

He noted that if "this war carried out by rebellion elements could be ended in its first moments if it was based on a regular war."