US wants Sudan to act against Jingaweit

Published July 4th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

The United States will give Sudanese officials "days, not weeks" to act against the Jingaweit and measurably improve conditions for the more than 1 million displaced persons before pressing ahead with a U.N. Security Council resolution on the crisis, U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Administrator Andrew Natsios said Friday. 

 

Speaking with journalists after privately briefing the Security Council on his visit to Sudan, especially Darfur, earlier this week, Natsios said, "We will not be waiting for a long time ... we're not talking about months here, we're talking about days, not weeks." 

 

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content