US soldiers, Shiite fighters exchange fire in Najaf as three Marines ''die in action'' in Anbar

Published May 30th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

U.S. soldiers clashed with Shiite gunmen in the holy city of Najaf on Sunday, a day after Najaf's governor accused cleric Muqtada al-Sadr and his supporters of not honoring a deal to end fighting in the city. 

 

It was not immediately clear if anyone was injured in the exchange of gunfire Sunday.  

 

Elsewhere, three Marines died in action in Anbar province on Saturday, which extends from just west of Baghdad to the Syrian and Jordanian borders, the U.S. command said. 

 

No further details were released, the U.S. military reported.  

 

In Najaf, Governor Adnan al-Zurufi complained al-Sadr had done little to stop his fighters from brandishing their weapons in public or to send home "militiamen" not from this city - key parts of the agreement he struck with Shiite leaders to end seven weeks of fierce fighting around Najaf and Kufa.  

 

"Unfortunately, there have been no positive initiatives from the office of Mr. Muqtada al-Sadr so far," al-Zurufi said. "Armed men are filling the streets and there have been number of attacks on state employees in Kufa." (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content