U.S., Libya make progress in Lockerbie compensation deal talks

Published March 12th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

The United States, Britain and Libya are close to reaching agreement on a multibillion-dollar compensation deal for the relatives of victims of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing, senior US officials said, according to AFP

 

Some of the families of the 270 victims said they understood that a deal had been reached but the US officials, as well as the State Department, said reports of a final agreement were premature. 

 

That official spoke as senior diplomats from the three nations met Tuesday in London to try to finalize the deal, which would see Libya freed from remaining UN sanctions and possibly dropped from the US list of "state sponsors of terrorism." (Albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content