Top US official: Saddam dead; Report: US bombs targets of Iran main opposition group inside Iraq

Published April 17th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

A top US official said he believed ousted Iraqi president Saddam Hussein has been killed. White House chief of staff Andrew Card told an online audience, as he fielded questions from around the world. 

 

"I think he is dead. The good news is that his regime is no longer a threat to the people of Iraq nor to the US or our allies," replied Card. 

 

Meanwhile, U.S. forces have attacked the Iraqi bases of Iran's main opposition group, the Mujahideen i-Khalq, The New York Times reported on Wednesday, citing unnamed U.S. government officials. 

 

The newspaper quoted the officials saying the group, also known as the People's Mujahideen Organization of Iran, had supported Saddam Hussein, making it a legitimate military target. 

 

With tanks and artillery as well as armed fighters based the border with Iran, the Mujahideen has sought to overthrow Iran's Islamic government for more than a decade. 

 

Mohammad Mohaddessin, a top official of an Iranian opposition coalition that includes the Mujahideen, said there had been repeated U.S. air strikes on the group's bases followed by cross-border raids on its guerrillas inside Iraq by Iranian forces. (Albawaba.com) 

 

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content