Sudan says kidnapped tourists are in Libya

Published September 25th, 2008 - 01:54 GMT

A Sudanese official said kidnappers have taken to Libya 11 European tourists and eight Egyptians they abducted last week in a remote part of southwestern Egypt. According to the AP, Sudan's Foreign Ministry spokesman Ali Youssef said the group was moved to Libya from Sudan on Thursday and is now some 10 miles inside Libyan territory.

 

The kidnapped people were on a Sahara desert safari when they were snatched Friday by armed tribesmen. They are five Germans, five Italians and one Romanian. The eight Egyptians are drivers, guides and the owner of the tour company that organized the trip.

 

Earlier it was reported that German officials have established direct contact with kidnappers. Negotiations were taking place through two phone calls a day between the tour company's Egyptian owner, who was among those kidnapped, and his German wife, who lives in Egypt, an Egyptian security official said.