South Africa denies Israeli claims about uranium deal with Iran

Published August 18th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

South Africa will not help Iran's nuclear development and will not sell any uranium to Tehran, the South African Ministry of Defense told The Jerusalem Post Wednesday.  

 

A Spokesman for the Ministry, Sam Mkhwnazi, confirmed statements made earlier in the day by South Africa's ambassador to Tel Aviv, Maj.-Gen Fumanekile (Fumie) Gqiba, who told Army Radio that SA will not assist Iran's nuclear plans, and will not support any country wishing to develop nuclear weapons.  

 

Mkhnazi and Gqiba were reacting to Israeli media reports Tuesday which claimed that a recent South African-Iranian defense accord included a sale of uranium to Tehran.  

 

On Tuesday night, Israel's Channel 1 TV reported that the understanding between the two sides included an arrangement for South Africa to sell uranium to Iran.  

 

Mkhnazi rejected this claim. "This can't be correct. South Africa totally gave up its nuclear abilities when the ANC came to power in 1994. We are not going to supply them [Iran] with Uranium. That issue was not even discussed in the meeting [between the South African and Iranian defense ministers.]," he was quote as saying by the Jerusalem Post. (albawaba.com) 

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content