Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon informed U.S. President George W. Bush at their meeting last week that his commitment not to kill Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat is no longer valid, Sharon disclosed in an interview aired on Israel's Channel Two TV on Friday evening.
According to Sharon, he told the American president that at their first meeting, three years ago, he accepted Bush's request not to "inflict physical harm" on Arafat. The prime minister said that he told Bush last week that he understands the problems involved, but that he is not longer obligated to that agreement. Sharon did not disclose what Bush's response was.
Shortly after Sharon's comments, the U.S. State Department said it stood by its opposition to the assassination of Arafat. "Nothing has changed in the U.S. position and I will look at the statement and see what we have to say," State Department spokesman Richard Boucher told reporters.
Nabil Abu Rdeneh, a close aide to Arafat, warned that Sharon's "dangerous statements ... could push the whole region into tremendous danger." "We call upon the U.S. administration to clarify its position on these statements and to bear its responsibility toward this escalation," he said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)