Secret Service kills armed suspect near White House after shooting at security checkpoint

Published May 24th, 2026 - 07:07 GMT
Secret Service kills armed suspect near White House after shooting at security checkpoint
An evidence marker is placed a block away from the scene of a shooting near the White House on May 23, 2026 in Washington, DC. Emergency teams work the scene after multiple rapid-fire gunshots ring out outside the White House. AFP
Highlights
The shooting marks the latest in a series of security incidents near the White House in 2026, including a shooting near the Washington Monument earlier this month and a separate disturbance during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in April.

ALBAWABA- A man was shot and killed by the United States Secret Service after opening fire near a security checkpoint outside the White House on Saturday evening, leaving one bystander seriously wounded, authorities said.

The shooting occurred shortly after 6 p.m. near the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, along the western perimeter of the White House complex. Officials said the suspect, identified as 21-year-old Nasire “Nasir” Best of Maryland, approached a Secret Service checkpoint before pulling a handgun from a bag and firing at officers.

Secret Service personnel returned fire, striking the suspect. Best was transported to George Washington University Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Authorities confirmed that no Secret Service officers were injured during the exchange. One bystander sustained gunshot wounds and remains in serious condition.

The White House was briefly placed under lockdown while US President Donald Trump was inside the building. Security restrictions were later lifted, and normal operations resumed.

Investigators said Best was previously known to the Secret Service due to earlier incidents near White House security zones. According to officials, he had reportedly violated a prior stay-away order and was arrested in 2025 on charges including unlawful entry and obstructing traffic near the White House.

Law enforcement sources also indicated that Best had a history of mental health issues and had previously undergone involuntary psychiatric treatment.

Officials stated there is currently no evidence suggesting a political or ideological motive behind the attack. The suspect was described as emotionally disturbed, with reports citing prior episodes involving delusional behavior.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Secret Service are continuing their investigation into the incident.

The shooting marks the latest in a series of security incidents near the White House in 2026, including a shooting near the Washington Monument earlier this month and a separate disturbance during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in April.