At least nine Palestinians were shot dead as Israeli tanks backed by helicopter gunships raided the town of Beit Lahia in the northern Gaza Strip on Wednesday. Four of the victims were identified as Muhammad Abd a Rahman al Ajuri, Muhammad Karsu, 18, Suhail al Harsh and Omar Ahmed, 19.
A column of 25 tanks rolled into Beit Lahia in the pre-dawn hours Wednesday as soldiers launched house-to-house searches in a hunt for Palestinians involved in firing rockets on Gaza Strip settlements.
Witnesses reported occasional bursts of machine-gun fire from helicopters and tank fire and said Palestinian resistance fighters had also shot at the soldiers. More than 10 Palestinians were reported injured.
Earlier in the day, five Palestinians were injured after an Israeli helicopter fired at a group of Fatah fighters.
Palestinians told WAFA news agency that Israeli soldiers opened heavy fire on an ambulance in Beit Lahya. The ambulance was on its way to vacate the injuries caused by the Israeli attack against Palestinian civilians in the city.
The incursion marked the second day of aggressive Israeli operations in the area. On Tuesday, Israeli troops shot dead five Palestinians in the same area. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)