Report: Libya approves visit of dozens of Israeli nationals

Published January 12th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

As reported last week by Al Bawaba, Libyan authorities will allow dozens of Jews who had emigrated from Libya, to return to the North African country for a visit. 

 

Libyan officials have agreed to let dozens of Israelis take part in a school class reunion in the city of Bengazi. The organizer of the reunion told an Israeli daily Monday, "Kadhafi's top aide told me we are the bridge between both countries". 

 

Libyan authorities have approved the entrance of dozens of Israelis to Libya, Rafael Luzon, the class reunion organizer told Tel Aviv-based Ma'ariv daily in comments published Monday.  

 

Luzon, who lives in Rome, initiated in June the first class reunion of graduates of the prestigious Christian school La Salla located in Bengazi, in which the Jews who immigrated to Israel studied.  

 

Around 100 school graduates, from Israel, Libya, Italy, UK, US, Greece, Egypt, Malta, Belgium, Spain and other countries took part in the Rome reunion. 

 

In the course of the Rome reunion, Luzon told Libya's ambassador to the Vatican of his desire to hold such a reunion in Bengazi. According to Luzon, the ambassador raised the issue with senior Libyan officials and only a few weeks ago, the "green light was given".  

 

"The Libyans agreed that Libyan-born Jews who reside today in Israel will take part in the reunion, under the condition that in their passports it is written that their birthplace is Libya", Luzon told the daily. "When I asked if they have a problem with those who served in the Israeli army, the Libyans said it wasn't their business", Luzon added. (Albawaba.com) 

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content