The heads of the Palestinian security forces announced their willingness late Friday night to accept security responsibility in all areas from which Israel retreats. The decision was announced following a meeting convened by Palestinian president, Yasser Arafat in the West Bank city of Ramallah.
"We have taken a decision that if Israel shows readiness to withdraw from any Palestinian territory, we will take security responsibility in this area," Palestinian Information Minister Nabil Amr was quoted as saying after the meeting.
Asked about Israel's proposal to halt all military operations for three days, Amr said: "We are talking about a wider proposal, because what the Egyptians and Americans are talking about is the beginning of the implementation of the road map."
The PA minister with security responsibilities, Mohammed Dahlan took part in the meeting, though Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas (Abu Mazen) was not present, as he was recuperating from eye surgery.
"The Palestinian Authority cannot meet its responsibilities without a U.S. guarantee that Israel will stop its military escalation," cabinet minister Yasser Abed Rabbo said after
the meeting.
Meanwhile, senior Hamas official denied Friday a report by the Arab satellite channel Al-Jazeera that his group was prepared to agree to a conditional cease-fire with Israel, but said that the group was holding "intensive" talks with Palestinian Authority representatives.
According to the Al-Jazeera report, Hamas was willing to announce a truce if Israel agreed to end its assassinations of Hamas leaders. Hamas spokesman Mahmoud Zahar, speaking earlier in the day after Israel's fifth missile strike in 48 hours on Thursday, pledged to maximize the group's campaign against Israel. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)