Nasrallah: No power could disarm Hizbullah

Published November 11th, 2007 - 07:23 GMT

Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah said on Sunday no power could disarm his group and that it was ready for a new conflict with Israel after last year's war. "No one in the world can disarm Hizbullah," Nasrallah said in a speech aired by the Shiite movement's Al-Manar television.

 

"The entire world is not capable of implementing the clause concerning the disarmament of the resistance in (UN Security Council) Resolution 1559," he said.

 

"The resistance in Lebanon has determination, will, manpower and sufficient weapons" to face Israel in a new conflict, Nasrallah said.

 

"The resistance is ready, day and night, to defend south Lebanon (a bastion of Hezbollah) as well as all of Lebanon... to achieve a historic victory that will change the face of the region."

 

Nasrallah also warned of a political vacuum in Lebanon, amid a crisis to find a successor to pro-Syrian President Emile Lahoud whose mandate expires on November 24. "I urge Lahoud to... adopt an initiative to prevent the country from falling into a vacuum if there is no agreement" on a new president, he said.

 

Nasrallah warned that the opposition would not recognize a president unless he is elected by two-thirds of MPs. "Any president elected by a simple majority... will not be recognised by te opposition, which would consider him to be an impostor," said the Hizbullah chief.