Mubarak recovers, hopes inter-Palestinian talks to succeed

Published November 25th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak on Tuesday made his first public appearance since a health problem last week. Mubarak appeared on live TV to mark Eid al-Fitr.  

 

Mubarak had been out of sight since last Wednesday. Local newspapers said the president was suffering the effects of flu and the dawn-to-dusk fasting of Ramadan. 

 

On Tuesday, the Egyptian leader shook hands with Cabinet ministers and answered questions from reporters.  

 

The broadcast, during which Mubarak voiced his hope that new inter-Palestinian discussions scheduled to take place in Egypt would help end violence in the Middle East, was made from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, where the Egyptian leader has been recovering.  

 

Mubarak also told reporters "terrorist operations will not end" unless the U.S.-led coalition ended its occupation of Iraq and the Israelis ended their occupation of the Palestinian territories.  

 

"People need to feel justice," Mubarak stressed.  

(Albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content