The Israeli army early Tuesday lifted the closure imposed on the West Bank and Gaza Strip last week. "With the lifting of the closure, entrance of workers and merchants into Israel and entrance of workers into the Erez Industrial Zone will be authorized," the army said in a statement.
Late Monday, in the West Bank town of Salfit, an Israeli undercover unit killed a Palestinian and wounded five others, Palestinian security and medical sources in the city reported.
Eyewitnesses confirmed that Israeli soldiers disguised in civilian clothes and driving in three Palestinian license-plated vehicles infiltrated Salfit and opened heavy fire at Khaled Madi, 34, while standing near a shop, instantly killing him. Three passersby, including a 14-year old boy were wounded in the same attack and were rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Meanwhile, a British newspaper said Tuesday Prime Minister, Tony Blair is under pressure from President Bush to outlaw the Palestinian group Hamas, ending secret talks.
According to the Mirror, the move would dismay UK officials who said their negotiations with Hamas were vital to a breakthrough in the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.
But Bush has added Hamas to a list of banned "terrorist organizations" and wants the UK to do the same.
The Home Office told the newspaer: "We keep the proscribed list of terrorist groups under regular review."
At present, only the military wing of Hamas, Izz al-Din al-Qassem Brigades, is on the UK list of 25 "terrorist" groups.
Its political wing has had secret contacts with British officials, including ex-MI6 officer Alastair Crooke who helped to broker last year's brief ceasefire. Crooke wants talks to continue.
In an unusual move, Crooke recently broke cover and said Hamas had too much popular support to be ignored. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)