Iraqi official says Fallujah mission completed as aid agencies warn about humanitarian disaster

Published November 13th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

The military operation to retake Fallujah has ended and there are just "malignant" pockets of resistance left to clear up, with more than 1,000 "rebels" killed, Iraq 's national security advisor said on Saturday.  

 

"Operation Fajr has been achieved and only the malignant pockets remain that we are dealing with through a clean-up operation," Qassem Daoud told a news conference in Baghdad.  

 

Asked about the situation in the south of the city, where clashes were reported Saturday, he said: "The mission is accomplished and there only remains these few pockets, which are being cleaned up."  

 

Daoud said that "the number of (Fallujah fighters) killed has risen to more than 1,000 and we have arrested more than 200 so far." Before the US raid started last Monday it was estimated that 2,000 to 2,500 armed men were in the city.  

 

Meanwhile, foreign aid agencies warned about the plight of civilians trapped in Fallujah. The Red Cross and Red Crescent have voiced deep concern about a developing humanitarian crisis among those of Fallujah's 300,000 residents who stayed there after the fighting started.  

 

The Red Crescent sent a convoy of emergency supplies on Saturday, despite having no permission to enter the battle field, because civilians are dying of starvation and thirst, a spokeswoman said, according to AP. (Albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content