Iraq: At least 14 dead in Baghdad blasts

Published January 7th, 2008 - 09:43 GMT

Two suicide bombers struck in a Sunni Arab district of Baghdad on Monday, killing at least 14 people including the leader of the area's neighbourhood patrols, an Interior Ministry source said.

 

According to Reuters, two other security sources gave a death toll of 10 people killed but said it could rise. Baghdad security spokesman Brigadier-General Qassim Moussawi told Iraqiya state television that six people had been killed and 26 were hurt. One of the bombers wore an explosive vest, the other struck with a car bomb. Among the dead was Riyadh al-Sammarrai, head of neighbourhood security volunteers in Adhamiya, a mainly Sunni area in northeastern Baghdad.

 

A spokesman for the Sunni Endowment, a religious organization, said a suicide bomber wearing an explosive vest had struck near the entrance to its building in Adhamiya and the second bomb hit nearby after crowds gathered.