Iranian leader asks to review disqualifications

Published January 14th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei on Wednesday urged the Guardian Council to review the disqualifications of the prospective candidates in the  

upcoming general election on February 20.  

 

In a meeting with members of the Guardian Council, Khamenei said that well-known dignitaries have formed the Guardian  

Council and recommended the body to review the disqualifications of the prospective candidates. "Since distinguishing the qualification has different stages. We  

should not go far in confirming the qualification of the members of parliament," the Iranian leader said in reference to the extreme criteria the Guardian Council has adopted so far, IRNA reported.  

 

Khamenei stated that Iran believes in democratic elections, adding that the public turnout in the elections has always forced the enemies to retreat from hostility.  

 

On the disqualifications by the Guardian Council of incumbent MPs, Ayatollah Khamenei said that those whose qualification has been approved so far should be re-confirmed, unless the contrary is proved. 

 

Prior to the Supreme Leader`s remarks, secretary of the Guardian Council, Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati presented a report on the different stages of the upcoming general election to elect MPs for the 290-seat legislature and said that the body has received complaints against the disqualification bid and that they would examine them.  

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content