Iran warned the United States on Wednesday that any violation of Iranian airspace by American planes would be met with a "swift and resolute" response.
Defense Minister Ali Shamkhani was commenting on several U.S. planes seen flying very close to Abadan, a port city in southwestern Iran. "We will not allow our airspace to be violated. If it happens, we will prevent its reoccurrence through our swift and resolute response," Defense Minister Ali Shamkhani told reporters after a Cabinet meeting.
"The Americans state that their weapons and instruments are accurate and error-free. Of course, the USS Vincennes proved otherwise," Shamkhani said.
In 1988, the USS Vincennes cruiser shot down an Iran Air Airbus A300 over the Gulf, killing all 290 passengers and crew aboard.
Meanwhile, President Mohammad Khatami confirmed Wednesday that Iraqi Foreign Minister Naji Sabri gave him a message from Iraqi President Saddam Hussein last week, but he refused to elaborate.
"I won't disclose details of the letter but it had no new words," Khatami told reporters after a Cabinet meeting. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)