Government source says ''serious negotiations'' being held with Saddam deputy over surrender

Published December 16th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

A high ranking officer in Iraq’s Ministry of Interior on Tuesday told Al Bawaba that former Iraqi vice president - Izzat Ibrahim Al Duri - has not yet turned himself to the Americans. General Nouri Al Nouri denied rumors about the surrender of Al Duri in a phone call with Al Bawaba.  

 

Earlier in the day, Kuwaiti TV’s news programme aired a live broadcast from Iraq where it was reported that Al Duri may have turned himself in to the Americans.  

 

However, Nouri did express optimism that Al Duri will soon turn himself in, affirming that “serious negotiations are taking place with the former vice president for his surrender, especially now that his situation has become very precarious following Saddam’s capture.” General Nouri did not disclose any further information about the nature of these negotiations or who is conducting them.  

 

On December 2nd, Iraqi police denied news about Al Duri’s capture. Al Duri is now the number one most wanted man on the American list after the capture of the Iraqi president.  

 

Mowafaq Al Rubai’i, a member of Iraq’s Interim Governing Council, declared earlier that “a big operation took place in the northern city of Kirkuk which ended with the capture of a big fish,” which seemed to many as a confirmation of the Kuwaiti broadcast. (Albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content