Egypt's Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher said in Cairo Sunday that his country considers the issue of Camp David as belonging to the past, adding that Egypt is currently eager to promote ties with Iran.
In an interview with the official IRNA news agency, the Egyptian minister said Cairo views the case of the Camp David Accords "closed", stressing that the interest of Tehran and Cairo nowadays is in the promotion of mutual cooperation between both countries.
"I don't think using the issue of Camp David will be useful, because it does not exist anymore and is merely a thing of the past," he asserted.
"There have been many changes and I believe that this case between Iran and Egypt has already been closed... What exists now is the interest of Iran and Egypt to work with each other."
Tehran severed its relations with Cairo after former Egyptian president Anwar Sadat signed the Camp David peace treaty with Israel and harbored Iran's Shah.
Both countries today run interest sections through foreign
embassies in Cairo and Tehran, operated by Iranian and Egyptian diplomats.
Furthermore, according to the news agency, Maher stressed the need for Iran and Egypt to struggle together for the establishment of "justice in the occupied territories of Palestine, and for promoting peace and stability in the Middle East.
"Therefore, there is no reason to stop because of what does not exist anymore and has become part of the past," he reiterated.
"What is important is that we will continue our assistance to Palestine and we know that Iran will also help the Palestinian people."
Meanwhile, Maher also described the talks between Iran's
President Khatami with Egyptian counterpart Mubarak
in Geneva as very important.
He stressed that the meeting of the Iranian and Egyptian
presidents had been an opportunity for them to exchange viewpoints on issues related to bilateral relations and international developments. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)