A Danish man is likely being held captive in Iraq, Denmark's Foreign Ministry said Friday. The foreign ministry did not give more details or identify the missing man, The AP reported.
"A Danish national likely is being held back in Iraq," the ministry said in a statement. "No Iraqis or Iraqi groups have contacted Danish authorities."
Danish public television DR-1 reported that he was a businessman in his 30s and working on a sewage project in Iraq. The man was traveling from the southern Iraqi city of Basra to Baghdad when he was taken captive in Tadji, DR-1 added.
Meanwhile, US Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Thursday that the death toll of American soldiers in recent weeks was higher than he had expected, acknowledging a change in plans as he announced thousands of soldiers won't return home as early as promised.
Rumsfeld described a decision to keep some 20,000 soldiers inside Iraq longer than originally planned, telling reporters at the Pentagon: "I certainly would not have estimated that we would have had the number of individuals lost that we have had lost in the last week." (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)