Clashes in Mosul: At least 14 Iraqis killed, more than 20 wounded

Published August 4th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Iraqi security forces and resistance fighters exchanged fire in the streets of the northern city of Mosul on Wednesday. At least 14 people were killed and 26 wounded in a roadside bomb blast and the clashes, police and hospital officials said. 

 

Reuters correspondent in the city said one firefight started at about 12.45 p.m. (0845 GMT) in the Sinjar neighbourhood to the southwest of the city. Battles reported also in other parts of the city. 

 

Local television said a curfew had been imposed in the city from 3 p.m. (1100 GMT).  

 

A man and a woman were killed when a roadside bomb exploded in the path of a US military convoy, police in the city said. "The bomb went off at 10:35 am (0635 GMT) in the Mamoun neighbourhood, killing a man and a woman and injuring two people," Captain Hamad Hassan Abdullah told AFP.  

 

The device detonated when a US patrol passed along the road, Abdullah said. (albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content