Arabic-language television stations said Friday that more than 50 Iraqis have been killed in what they described as an air raid on a marketplace in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.
Al-Jazeera's correspondent said 51 Iraqis had been killed and 49 injured in the market in the Shula neighbourhood of Baghdad. "An Iraqi official told us that the search is still going on for those trapped under the rubble," he said and showed pictures of bodies, including those of two children.
Dubai-based Al-Arabiya television reported 52 dead and showed pictures of injured at a hospital. Witnesses spoke of a missile landing on the al-Nasser market in the west of the Iraqi capital.
Iraqi officials claimed the carnage was caused by a stray cruise missile. An Iraqi doctor, Ismail Marzooki, said a missile hit a residential area just 300 meters from his hospital.
He told television stations: "In a few minutes a massive number of people started to come into the hospital." Dr Marzooki described the scene as being like a "massacre".
He claimed there were no potential military targets in the residential area. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)