Beirut: Missile attack on building housing TV and radio stations owned by Rafic al Hariri

Published June 15th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

The main offices of the Lebanese Premier, Rafic al Hariri's media empire, Future-TV and Radio Asharq, came under a missile strike in Beirut's seafront district of Raouche overnight Sunday. The local police said a bloodbath in the residential neighborhood had been "miraculously avoided," A Nahar website reported. 

 

Initial investigation by the authorities indicated that two 107-mm missiles were fired from a white BMW-530 car parked near the main gate of the building, housing the news department of Future-TV and Asharq radio station at 1:30 a.m. Beirut time, setting the three-floor facility afire. 

 

Police officers on the scene, which was cordoned off for three hours before dawn, said the two rockets were detonated by a timing mechanism attached to the car, which was reduced to a pile of smoldering metal. The wreckage was taken to police headquarters for possible fingerprint marks. 

 

Information Minister Michel Samaha stated a nighttime guard at the network managed to remove four gas bottles from the building before fire could reach them and "thus rescued the neighborhood from potential carnage." 

 

The attack came a few hours after Hariri had returned from visits to Brazil and France. But Samaha said "this is definitely a political message which will certainly deciphered soon." 

 

Hariri made a personal inspection tour of the Future-TV headquarters Sunday morning, urging the staff not to be intimidated and to continue their mission in the service of Lebanon and Lebanon's free media. (Albawaba.com)

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content