Two American troops were killed and two injured in separate attacks in Iraq, it was reported on Thursday.
One of the soldiers was killed Thursday when his truck hit a landmine near Husaybah, on the border with Syria, 335 kilometers (210 miles) west of Baghdad, AFP reported.
Another soldier died and two more were injured Wednesday night after resistance fighters fired rocket-propelled grenades and small arms at a US convoy near Mahmudiyah, 30 kilometers south of Baghdad.
In the meantime, a Polish officer has been killed in Iraq during an attack on a military convoy, the first dead suffered by Warsaw's troops in the country, a Polish military spokesman said.
The officer was attacked towards 0900 GMT at Al Mussayih, located some 40 kilometers north of Karbala, as he was returning from the Camp Dogwood, a military spokesman said.
"The officer was injured in the neck," in a machine gun attack, Zdzislaw Gnatowski, according to a military spokesman.
The 44-year-old officer, who has the rank of commander, was part of a four-vehicle convoy carrying around 15 soldiers.
The Polish soldiers responded to the attack, before rushing the officer to a Polish military hospital in Karbala, where he is in a "serious" condition, the spokesman said, indicating there had been no other casulties in the attack.
These latest attacks came as Britain's special representative in Iraq, Jeremy Greenstock, told the Times newspaper the occupation forces faced a "rough winter on the security front."
"Terrorists" are trying to make Iraq ungovernable and choosing their targets cleverly," Greenstock said in the interview published on Thursday.
"They want to try and close Baghdad down and make it look as though Iraq can't work with coalition forces here." According to Greenstock, US-led forces had to "earn time" from an increasingly sceptical local population and "Iraqicize" the security operation as quickly as possible. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)