Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said his country had been contacted several times to launch talks with the new U.S. administration. "We said we will have no talks before the election. They were insisting to hold negotiations before the election," Ahmadinejad on Saturday was quoted as saying by Press TV. Iran will hold its 10th presidential election on June 12.
"They called several times ... and US President Barack Obama finally accepted and said: 'Ok, let's do it after the election'," Ahmadinejad commened. He also cast doubt on US readiness to engage the country with mutual respect. "The world is waiting to see change in the attitude of the US administration," the Iranian leader added.
"We think it also benefits the Iranian people, if talks between Iran and the P5+1 take place after the presidential elections. We will continue our discussion with P5+1," added the Iranian president.