Reports: Abu Dhabi considering Gulf Air pullout

Published September 13th, 2005 - 07:58 GMT

"Business as usual for Gulf Air," said James Hogan, president and chief executive, even though press reports have claimed that the emirate of Abu Dhabi is set to pull out of the airline. In a brief statement on Monday, Hogan said: "We are aware of reports in the press regarding the shareholding of the company. From a commercial point of view, business is as usual."

 

The Bahrain-headquartered Gulf Air is owned by Bahrain, Oman and the emirate of Abu Dhabi.

 

A report in Akhbar Al Khaleej, has conveyed that Abu Dhabi is set to end its partnership in the carrier. An emergency meeting is expected to be held soon by Gulf Air board to discuss the Gulf Air's future.

 

Gulf Air returned to profitability last year after years of losses during which owners had to pump over US$200 millions to keep the company afloat.

It should be mentioned that, another Gulf Air shareholder - Qatar - pulled out in 2002 to focus on its flag carrier, Qatar Airways.

 

Established in 1950, Gulf Air is now a major international airline, serving over 50 destinations worldwide.