Two British soldiers missing; Pentagon downplays reports of Iraqi ''chemical'' weapons factory discovery

Published March 24th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Two British soldiers were missing Monday after vehicles they were traveling in were attacked in southern Iraq, British defense officials said.  

 

The Ministry of Defense said the attack took place on Sunday, but it declined to give details of where the attack happened. "Every effort is being made to find and recover them," the ministry said in a statement.  

 

A spokesman said the ministry was being deliberately vague about the suspected location of the soldiers for safety and operational reasons.  

 

Meanwhile, Baghdad came under bombardment again at about 3:00 am on Monday (0000 GMT). Big explosions could be heard in the city, though the bombing was not precipitated by the usual air raid sirens, and anti-aircraft guns did not go into action. 

 

Elsewhere, coalition forces have found a "huge chemical" weapons factory at An Najaf, some 360 kilometers south of Baghdad, Fox News Channel and ABC News reported Sunday, citing a senior defense official. 

 

Coalition troops are said to be holding the general in charge of the facility, the networks said. But a Pentagon spokesman called the reports "premature," saying: "We are looking into sites of interest."  

 

Pentagon officials so far have said that no weapons of mass destruction have been found in Iraq since the US-led war was launched on Baghdad early Thursday. (Albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content