Sudan extended Uganda permission to continue hunting Lords Resistance Army (LRA) guerillas on Sudanese territory, the defense ministry said on Thursday, according to the Saudi Press Agency.
Sudan early last year began allowing its neighbor to send soldiers into Sudan to strike at LRA bases, however the operation achieved only limited success, and permission for Ugandan incursions had been renewed on a monthly basis.
The newest extension is for a period of three months, and expires on August 31, the defense ministry said in a statement.
The LRA has been fighting a bloody war in northern Uganda that has displaced more than 800,000 civilians. The number of dead is believed to run into the thousands. (Albawaba.com)