Report: British Defense Secretary accepts blame for Iraq expert's death

Published August 17th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

British Defense Secretary Geoff Hoon has told colleagues he accepts he must "carry the can" for the death of a government scientist at the core of claims that London exaggerated the case for war against Baghdad, the Sunday Telegraph reported. 

 

According to the newspaper, Hoon phoned colleagues to tell them he expected to have to "fall on his sword" over the affair, which has triggered a major political crisis for British Prime Minister Tony Blair. 

 

Last week, a judicial inquiry into the suspected suicide of arms specialist David Kelly heard that Hoon had overruled his most senior civil servant's request that the scientist be spared a public grilling by a parliamentary committee. 

 

Hoon has informed friends that he believes the disclosure, and allegations that he was prepared to put political expediency ahead of Kelly's welfare, spell doom for his career as a member of Blair's cabinet of top ministers, the Sunday Telegraph reported. 

 

"He's told us he's going to carry the can," one close colleague told the weekly. (Albawaba.com) 

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content