Israel's Defense Minister Saul Mofaz told the cabinet on Sunday morning that the security establishment was putting together a plan to combat Hamas, as he termed it Israel’s principal "strategic enemy."
Mofaz said that the operation against Hamas would entail thwarting "terror attacks", stopping the transfer of funds to Hamas, operations to destroy supporting infrastructure etc. He added that the Israeli security establishment sees particular importance in weakening the movement between Israel pullouts of the occupied territories.
"In light of the wave of terror we have decided to create a counter-wave of continued, constant pressure on Hamas and Tanzim terror groups which are supported by Hizbullah. As part of this operation, [last] week we launched aerial attacks on two arms production facilities in Gaza and attempted to assassinate Mohammed Haroub who was behind the attempted attack at the Erez Crossing [earlier this month]," Mofaz told the ministers.
Regarding his recent visit to the US, Mofaz said that he was given the impression during talks with American officials that the administration is in favor of Sharon's "disengagement plan" strategically, though they still have questions on the finer details and implications of the plan. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)