Israeli woman killed in rocket attack as Netanya blast death toll climbs to five

Published July 14th, 2005 - 04:56 GMT

A 24-year-old Israeli woman was killed in a Palestinian rocket attack Thursday afternoon on Netiv Ha’asara, north of Gaza Strip’s Beit Hanun ("Erez") crossing, after Palestinian fired four rockets at this Israeli settlement.

 

The woman was killed after sustaining shrapnel wounds to her head while sitting on the balcony, after the rocket hit the house. Fatah's Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades claimed responsibility for this attack.

 

A Qassam rocket was fired at a residential area in the southern Israeli town of Sderot Thursday morning, Israel's Army Radio said. No one was hurt in the attack. A mortar shell was also fired at a "Gush Katif" settlement predawn on Thursday. No casualties were caused in this incident.

 

Earlier in the day, Israeli occupation soldiers killed a Palestinian activist as he was meeting a British reporter in the West Bank city of Nablus, witnesses said. They said soldiers broke into a house where Mohammed Alasi, 28, a local leader of the Islamic Jihad, was talking to the reporter. Alasi tried to flee, but soldiers shot him dead and took his body, they said.

 

In Hebron, two Palestinians were severely wounded after having been assaulted by armed Israeli settlers and soldiers, medical sources and witnesses said. Hebron Hospital sources said that two - Deeb al-Ashi 24, and Ahmed Jaber 23, both from Hebron, were carried, Wednesday overnight, to the hospital, suffering wounds and fractures.

Also Thursday, occupation troops arrested 10 Islamic Jihad men in West Bank raids.

 

In another development, an Israeli soldier critically wounded in the suicide bombing in Netanya on Tuesday died of his wounds, raising the attack's death toll to five.

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content