A Hamas activist was killed and another was injured by Israeli soldiers Sunday afternoon in an incident on the outskirts of the Tulkarem refugee camp in the West Bank.
Earlier, Israeli forces demolished a Palestinian house and inflicted grave damage to nearby houses in the West Bank refugee camp of Tulkarem, according to witnesses.
They told the official WAFA news agency that Israeli military vehicles moved into the camp and besieged the house of Fakhry al-A'rda, forced its eight dwellers under gunpoint to get out, shortly before dynamiting it.
The troops entered the Tulkarem refugee camp overnight and demolished the home of A'rda, who was shot dead during a weekend attack.
A'rda - who was released just last week from an Israeli prison - infiltrated the West Bank settlement of Avnei Hefetz late Friday. He opened fire on a house, killing a settler and injuring his 14-year-old daughter.
Also in this West Bank city, five pupils suffered suffocation due to tear-gas canisters fired Sunday by Israeli troops against a group of schoolboys, witnesses said. They told WAFA that the Israeli soldiers stormed “Abdul Majeed Primary School” in the city and fired tear-gas canisters due to which five pupils were suffocated.
Meanwhile, Israeli troops kept the round-the-clock curfew imposed on the refugee camp for the second consecutive day, the agency added.
In the meantime, Israel Defense Minister Saul Mofaz said on Sunday that the closure clamped on the territories last month will remain in place until after the Jewish state's "Independence Day" in late April. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)